Monday, November 3, 2008

Your dose of common sense for Monday 11/3/08


If you deal with the US Military on a regular basis for business, here is a good tip: (First can you name the branch and rank of the insignia here?)
During working hours and in meetings use the persons rank and last name to address them, i.e. Lieutenant Commander Davis or Captain Peters. Also end your answers with "sir" when addressed. Even if you are on a good first name basis, only use it after hours or when not engaged with the rest of the group. It may give the impression of favoritism to other business partners or even competitors in the room. If you are unsure of a rank, for instance is the person a Lieutenant Commander or a Commander, err on the side of the higher rank.

2 comments:

Scott M. Erlandson said...

That's an Admiral's insignia, but I don't know the exact designation. I'm more familiar with Air Force ranks because all of the work we did at my former place of employment was overseen by the Air Force Research Lab.

BTW, I think you and are are the only ones in the class maintaining our blogs so far. Think that will earn us any extra credit?

Scott said...

Scott,
Your right about the Admiral, it's Rear Admiral Upper Half. And I think your right too about maintaining these. But as a first time blogger I think it's kind of cool. Unfortunately I can't access it from work so that with the other homework leaves my blogging time few and far between.
Scott