Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday's Dose

Here's one you may not know or believe for that matter. It took me a very long time to come around since I am a performance car enthusiast but maybe this will put a few bucks back in your wallet (or pocketbook, lest I forget my audience).
I met the father of one of my daughters friends and he is an independent auto mechanic. He says that most engines run fine on regular gas. The amount of additives and detergents in gas these days make regular just as good as the higher octane. The variable valve timing in most newer engines adjusts to the octane that's in the fuel automatically. My Nissan Pathfinder's owner manual says to run only 91 octane or higher in the 3.0l V6, and that's what I did for the first 75,000 miles. Since I met Tony, I've dropped down to midgrade 89 octane with no noticible difference in performance or mileage over the last 25,000 miles. (The corvette still gets premium though!)

1 comment:

pinoy.net said...

nice blog, can we exchange links?
to do so please visit my site at http://allpinoy.net

thank you.